The Maine House, located on the shore of Lake Christopher, was first built in
1853 by Philip Abbott and was known as a "Manor House". The house was
rebuilt and remodeled several times over the years. Not much of the original house
remains, though the shape of the front of the house and barn, what is now the
Great Room, can be seen from Lake Road.
From the mid-1920’s until her death in 1949, the Manor House was the
summer home of Frances Hayes, daughter of President Rutherford B. Hayes. Mrs.
Hayes spent 28 years at the house, then known as the Marcotte Home, until
she died at the age of 82.
In 1954, Mr. Harold Clukey purchased the house and he and his wife raised
seven children there for over 32 years. It was Mr. Clukey who remodeled and
modernized the house, keeping it cozy and old-fashioned while providing it
with modern conveniences.
In 1992, Tim, Steve and Tony, three long-time friends and business partners
purchased the house and named it The Maine House. The concept for the house
was modeled after The Cape House, located in Falmouth, MA building a network
of self-service guesthouses catering to groups.
In 1994, Tim, Steve and Tony purchased the old Dunham farmhouse, just two doors
away from The Maine House and Lake Christopher. The house was originally built
in 1880 by Rufus Dunham, son of Rev. Ransom Dunham, one of the original settlers
of Bryant Pond. Named The Maine Farm House, it was completely renovated and remodeled
into three separate, but adjoining suites with a warm country feel. The Maine
Farm House can accommodate one large group or three smaller groups.
Then in 1996, The Maine MountainView House was purchased from Margaret and Robert
Hand. The original building was built in 1850 and stood as the Glen Mountain Hotel
until it burned in 1907. The house was rebuilt shortly thereafter as the stately,
turn of the century Victorian house you see today. The house was once a nursing
home, offices and most recently operated by the Hand’s as a bed and breakfast
and called The Glen Mountain House. This house was remodeled in 2000 adding bathrooms,
sleeping space and an 8 person spa. With a view of Mt. Christopher, this house
is just a 5 minute walk to the lake.